Friday, April 25, 2008

I survived Satan Worshipping and all I got was this lousy life-altering injury


1996- The Craft was released; I was a latchkey kid with access to HBO and two parents who worked. Despite my catholic upbringing and my parents' insistence that I be a good, upstanding member of society I was claimed by Satan. That's right, it happened as easily as if I'd been claimed by a kidnapper, pedophile or abortionist. My friends and I began to spend our afternoons in the backyard fiddling with the supernatural.
We dyed our confirmation dresses black and pierced all the loose skin we could find. The fact is, we didn't understand what we were messing with. We were blinded by the glamorous portrayal of witchcraft in the movie, the outward beauty of the actresses and their ability to control the people who scorned them. It's a long story but four people ended up dead and my friend Sally is in a mental institution. She still sends me pentagrams and piercings for my birthday. (the gross part is that they're her piercings...and they're not being removed by a doctor if you get my drift.)We had to learn the hard way that magic, like anything else, has to be practiced in moderation.
Heed this lesson well, Peg Aloi's Cinema and the Occult class, for I have shed blood to learn it's significance.
-Shiva

A/N The truth is that there is a force in the Universe and it needs to be treated with respect. Those chicks in the movie are stupid in the way that all teenagers are stupid. They are ruled by their emotions and they lack perspective. My grandmother is an astrologer and a numerologist and I grew up (after the catholic thing-which is true) with an understanding of the forces in the universe and our place within them. (I'm not saying I'm an authority- I'm just saying I'm not gonna hex my bully's hair off her head.) My brother and I both believe ourselves to be healers and I've done experiments with honing energy but I understand that energy is only to be used for good intentions and that if you use it negatively it's only gonna slap you in the face later, I don't necessarily stick to any code or believe in the three times back to you thing but I believe that what goes around comes around.
...and now that my crazy has spilled out a bit, I'll say see you in class.
-Claudia

No comments: