Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Film Screening Change, Spring Break and Exam


I just can't do it.

I cannot show the truncated version of The Wicker Man when we could have the chance to see a longer version (the extended release version is almost ten minutes longer than the theatrical release version).

However, since I do not have the longer version with me (and I was not aware Media Services only had the theatrical release version), we will postpone that screening until the week after break. Please complete the reading assignment by then. If you have time you might also wish to do a bit of research on the film Don't Look Now which was shown as a double bill with The Wicker Man, or view it if you have the chance. It deals with the paranormal in an interesting way that is certainly relevant to the course, and is a beautiful film besides.

Tomorrow, instead, we will watch Roger Corman's Masque of the Red Death. (Nice little blurb on this here; also see the linked article at right on the Black Lagoon website, which has some excellent short reviews of various occult films.)

During the week of March 25-27, we will watch The Omen. That should get us caught up with everything. We can watch some made-for-TV film clips as time allows.

Also: would you all rather have a take-home exam to be finished by the time you return from break? Or an in-class exam the week we return from break? If enough people weigh in before class tomorrow, I will see what I can do. The difference: for a take-home exam, you can use your readings and notes and have more time; it is sort of like writing four short essays. The in-class exam would require two short essays and a number of short-answer responses.

4 comments:

SB said...

I"d prefer take home. It gives us more class time to watch the films and have discussions and having more time for a test is easier for me, I don't know about anybody else though.

flyinsaucier said...

I always prefer take home exams, especially the kind I can take home to meet my family.

caligula said...

i would prefer a take home exam as well- (insert joke or class reference here)

Peg A said...

Okay, I will prepare a take-home mid-term. We may augment this with an in-class short answer test, too which should not take long.